AURA Creator Spotlight: Meet Sy Chounchaisit
Get to know creative force and NYC-based performer Sy Chounchaisit.
Meet the New York-based musical theater performer and photographer taking the creative arts world by storm. With inspiration and drive fueled by their upbringing in Bangkok, Thailand, and immigrating to the US while in high school, Sy Chounchaisit is an innovative force that’s reinforced by their charmingly unique point of view.
1. AURA: Hi Sy! Thank you so much for taking the time to chat with us today. To get started, we want to know what the most significant accomplishments you’ve had as a creative so far?
Sy Chounchaisit: My biggest accomplishment is getting to tour the US with two national Broadway tours! Growing up, I didn’t see a lot of people who look like me doing musical theater so I was so happy to be that representation for the Asian and queer musical theater lovers around the country.
2. AURA: When did you just know you had to be an actor, dancer, and singer?
Sy: I was that kid who participated in every school talent show and I just knew that I wanted to be in the industry. Even though my parents were not 100% on board with the idea of me becoming an artist, they were very generous when it came to art, dance, and music lesson expenses. Because of these various classes and exposure to different types of art, I was able to pour my attention toward becoming good at what I love.
3. AURA: What first inspired you to take your shot at photography?
Sy: It’s kind of silly to admit this! I started doing photography mainly because I didn’t want to spend $800+ on a professional actor’s headshot.
I love changing my hair color and style but because headshot sessions are so expensive, I felt restricted to change up my looks and express who I really am as often as I would’ve liked. After taking self-portraits and posting them on social media for a while, I started taking clients.
4. AURA: What aspects of being born and raised in Thailand define who you are today?
Sy: Being an immigrant is such a big part of my identity because if you know how the immigration process goes, you understand how difficult it is to live and work in the US if you weren’t born here.
I also immigrated here all by myself so I had to learn how to do things for myself. Being from Thailand, a Buddhist country, specifically helped me to live life modestly and respectfully (AND with a smile).
I also think Thai folx are hilarious, so a lot of my humor comes from that.
5. AURA: We lve that you’ve faced so much and have kept your smile shining throughout it all. Did you face any challenges in Bangkok when deciding to embark on your career as a performer and creative?
Sy: I moved to the US when I was in high school and have been here ever since. I decided to stay here because I spent most of my young adulthood here and felt more comfortable living here than in Bangkok. Also, Thailand’s theater scene isn’t very big and I’ve already made connections here so it didn’t make sense for me to move home.
6. AURA: How do you incorporate your heritage into your day-to-day life?
Sy: I love to cook, especially Thai food. My mom isn’t the best cook so I had to depend a lot on recipe books and YouTube videos. That got me to really think about the details of each ingredient and why we do what we do in Thai cuisines. I often share my love for cooking with my friends here in NYC.
7. AURA: If you could give your younger self one piece of advice, what would it be?
Sy: I would tell myself to put those boxes of hair dye and bleach kits back on the shelf.
8. AURA: That is great advice that everyone can relate to. Do you have any favorite up-and-coming creators that everyone needs to check out?
My favorite creator right now is Jess Tran (@jessglistening). She is an Aussie in NYC with a cool sense of style and a jaw-dropping apartment.
9. AURA: We’ll definitely have to check them out! Who is your biggest inspiration? And why?
Sy: My photographer hero, Lindsay Adler. Not only does she have a very unique vibrant style, but she is also a very accomplished professional in a male-dominated industry.
10. AURA: How would you describe your personal style?
Sy: Colorful finds from the thrift store.
11. AURA: We love that you experiment with different hair colors. What would you say your signature hairstyle or look is?
Sy: I was in love with the pink bob for the longest time but I recently did a big chop. I actually think this Irish Lilac purple pixie cut fits my personality even more. My friend described this look as “lavender oat milk latte.”
12. AURA: We might have to use that name! So, how would you describe your daily hair routine?
Sy: For everyday styling, I spray my hair with water then put a bit of pomade on damp hair. I don’t like washing my hair every day because I try to preserve the vibrant color. For wash day, which is basically every five days, I will use my AURA Ritual to take care of my scalp and color.
13. AURA: What is the best beauty tip you’ve ever received?
Sy: Never fall asleep with makeup on even though you’re really tired.
14. AURA: Since you’re an AURA Creator, we’re wondering what your favorite AURA product is?
Sy: The Masque is my favorite product! I was able to customize the product to fit my hair concerns and add pigment to maintain my hair color.
15. AURA: What goals are featured in your AURA Ritual?
Sy: Scalp Care, Color Protection, and Repair. Since I have to bleach my hair to accomplish the Fantasy pigments, Scalp Care is my number one concern!
16. AURA: At AURA we believe that hair is powerful and personalized beauty can lead you toward endless possibilities. What makes you believe in endless possibilities?
Sy: Believing in yourself and celebrating your accomplishments!
17. AURA: Thank you so much for taking the time to answer these questions, Sy!
Is there anything else you would like to promote or share?
Sy: If you’re in NYC and are looking to get your headshots or portraits done, hit me up @syasac! Or if you have any questions at all about me—feel free to reach out! Also, I use they/she pronouns.
We hope this sit-down with the unforgettable Sy Chounchaisit makes you walk away feeling brighter and inspired to take on the world and live life to the fullest. For more AURA Creator spotlights, tips and tricks, and hair tutorials, follow @aurahaircare on Instagram and TikTok.