How to Prevent (And Clean Up) Stains from Semi-Permanent Pigments
Stain, stain, go away!
AURA Rituals can contain semi-permanent pigments (if you choose), which like other dyes, can cause stains. Luckily for you, we have a few tips to help you stay ahead of these stains and what to do if you do get them.
Ways To Prevent Pigment Stains on Hands
Gloves, gloves, gloves:
When you choose to add an optional pigment to your Ritual, you’ll receive a pair of reusable gloves with each product. Gloves are the best way to prevent stains on your hands when applying, processing, and rinsing your pigmented Masque and Conditioner.
If you forego the gloves, you will want to wash your hands right after using our pigmented products to help avoid stains.
AURA Insight: You may also choose to purchase a pair of inexpensive kitchen gloves to designate as your “coloring gloves” and keep them hanging from a suctioned hook in your shower.
Ways To Remove Different Stains
Off of your skin:
If you get semi-permanent color on your skin and need it off ASAP, here are a few household items you can grab:
- Makeup remover, such as micellar cleansing water or makeup remover wipes can help remove any staining in a pinch. You want to look for a formula with either an alcohol or oil base to help with this job. If you decide to use micellar cleansing water, we suggest using a cotton ball to help target the area you are wanting to remove. Gently scrub your skin in circular motion on the area gently until the color is removed.
- You can also use baby oil or coconut oil. As we mentioned above, an oil-based product may help remove the pigment from your skin. Just apply using a cotton ball or cotton round and use gentle circular motions until the unwanted color is removed from your skin.
AURA Insight: Use dark towels anytime your hair is wet or when your Masque is processing. This will not only protect your clothes or skin but will also prevent staining your lighter towels too.
Off of your clothes:
If you get any color on your clothes, here are a few tricks to help:
- Hairspray may stop the spread. Becuase hairspray is alcohol-based, it may stop the coloring from setting into your clothes.
- Pre-treat the clothes with products like Oxi-Clean or Shout before tossing in the wash ASAP. The sooner you catch the stain, the more likely it is to come out.
Off of your floors and countertops:
Should any product drop on the floor or countertop, it is best to clean it up right away by simply wiping it up. When a stain needs more attention than just a towel, here are some household items* that can come in handy:
- Prevent stains by cutting open a trash bag and laying it across your countertop or station you’ll be using. This will not only protect your counter area, but it will also make cleaning up much easier.
- Baking soda and water. Using about a 1:1 ratio, mix the water and baking soda together until you have a paste-like consistency. Put the paste right onto the stained area and allow it to harden. Once it does, just wipe away with a damp cloth. This works best on granite, formica, or laminate.
- Peroxide and baking soda is our go-to cleansing formula for floors. Using a roughly 1:1 ratio of each, mix the two products together. Gently rub the mixture onto the spot until the floor is free of the mark. The mixture will bubble up and you’ll see the stain slowly lighten. After that, wipe away with a damp cloth and watch as the stain fades.
*Note: To protect the quality of your countertops and floors, make sure you aren’t rubbing too hard on specific finishes!
In your shower/tub:
Last but not least, your shower. After you are done processing your Masque, you may have some residue in your shower. You can use your normal shower cleaner to clean up the leftover residue. For any spots that are giving you trouble, we recommend a magic eraser — the name rings true. You can also try powdered bleach products like Comet or Ajax (again, ensure that you can use these products in your shower). If you don’t have any of these products handy, you can also try the same household fix of baking soda and water. Just use the same 1:1 mix mentioned above for countertops.
AURA Insight: The key with any of these tips is taking care of the stain ASAP. The longer you wait, the harder the stain is to get out.