New to Semi-Permanent Color?
Our Guide to Semi-Permanent Color
Not sure what to expect when using your AURA hair care Ritual? Want to know more about how long the pigments will last in your new pigmented products? Here is your guide to our pigmented products!
The types of hair colors:
First things first, let’s discuss the different types of hair colors available on the market. There are three basic types of hair color available – semi-permanent, demi-permanent and permanent.
- Semi permanent: these are temporary pigments that do not require developers to activate the pigment. Typically last a few washes, depending on the condition of your hair.
- Demi-Permanent: require a developer to work but last up to 28 washes. Do not permanently change the color of your hair.
- Permanent: Best for gray coverage and also use a developer to activate the color. Permanently change the color of the hair.
In your Rituals, our pigments are semi-permanent, which are pigments that do not use a developer to activate the pigment and due to that, do not last as long and the color sits on the outside of the cuticle. If your hair is porous or damaged, the color may penetrate the cuticle layer.
Note: if you are looking for a demi-permanent or permanent option, please check out our sister site eSalon
Who can use semi-permanent color?
We are so glad you asked! Anyone can use it, whether your hair is color-treated, chemically-treated or you have no color in your hair at all. There are a few exceptions:
- If you are pregnant, you can use our products, we would just recommend consulting your doctor first.
- Our products are vegan and cruelty free, but they are not designed to be used on your furry friends.
- If you currently have color-treated hair and want to change your hair color. Semi-permanent colors unfortunately just don’t have enough pigment to cover up your current color.
- Our pigments are not designed to cover grays. However, if you have naturally gray hair and want to see some options, check out some great tips and options here.
What makes semi-permanent such a great option over demi-permanent or permanent color?
- You can quickly change from color to color (colors fade with each use so you do not need to book a salon appointment to change your color). This makes it great for anyone trying to find the right color or shade for them. Our Fantasy colors also have three different options for their vibrancy as well so you can choose the exact fit for you.
- Your kids can use it too! We love seeing pictures of you and your mini-me with the same color.
- If you are currently coloring your hair, this is a great way to refresh your color in between sessions without over-processing your hair.
- Our products are free of sulfates and can be used with hair that has chemical treatments, such as keratin treatments and perms immediately after the service.
How long are the pigments designed to last?
Our masques are designed to fade with each wash. To extend the life of the color, add a pigmented conditioner to your Ritual as well. You can switch off between the pigmented and a non-pigmented conditioner. Semi-permanent color typically lasts just a few washes, but it truly does depend on the condition of your hair. Hair that has been bleached or damaged may hold onto the pigment longer or may become stained.
If you no longer want to have the pigment in your hair or want to change the color in your hair, use a clarifying shampoo. These gentle formulas will help to remove the pigment from your hair without stripping or being harsh.