Summer Hairstyles That Both Millennials and Gen Z Will Love
Summer-ready hairstyles we can all agree on.
Summer is officially here, and it’s time to show off your lovely locks with fresh, new hairstyles. Whether you’re a Millennial or Gen Z, our specialists skimmed the web to find a few of the hottest summer hairstyles that all young people can agree on—unfortunately, the jury is still out on skinny jeans vs low-rise jeans, but we can’t agree on everything. All jokes aside, read on to discover your new summer go-to hairstyle and how to get the look at home.
Hair trends come and go but this half-up half-down look never goes out of style. It is a beginner-friendly hairstyle that works for almost all hair types and lengths, making it a universally pleasing look. This trending style has ushered in a number of celebrity fans like Ariana Grande and Chloe Bailey because it can easily be dressed up or dressed down with a simple change of accessories.
A half-up half-down hairstyle also allows you to get your hair out of your face on those hot, sweaty days but you can still let your lovely locks flow in the wind. So if you’re looking for an easy-breezy summer hairstyle that goes with your favorite crop top, this may be the look for you.
To achieve this style:
- Come through your hair to remove tangles if needed. Sweep up a portion of your hair at the crown of your head and secure it with an elastic.
- Style the hair beneath with a smoothing balm or hair oil to tame any frizzies. If you want to style it with a heat tool, just make sure to use a heat protectant spray beforehand to prevent any unwanted damage!
Messy Top Knot
When it comes to summer hair, effortless is the name of the game—and few styles compete with a messy top knot. Even if it is your first time trying this look, you don’t have to be a hairstylist to get this look down. In just a few minutes, you’ll get that cool girl vibe without the fuss. This versatile look is perfect for the summer, making any humidity-induced flyaways look purposeful.
To get this look:
- Start by combing through hair to get rid of any major lumps and bumps. Separate hair into a top and bottom section if you want to do a half-up, half-down top knot.
- Sweep hair up to the crown of your head, twist into place, and secure with a hairband or a scrunchie for you trendy Gen Z-ers out there.
This summer, try a style that is taking the galaxy by storm—space buns. This trend has been around long before Generation Z or Millennials were even born but has seen a resurgence in popularity thanks to festival season (ahhh, remember those days?), Tik Tok, and social media stars like Hailey Beiber and Kylie Jenner.
These miniature buns also keep the hair off your neck and out of your face so that you can enjoy every breeze that comes your way. You can also have a lot of fun with these buns—try a zig-zag hair part or give yourself a Miami Pink money piece to frame your face.
To rock this Tik-Tok-ready style:
- Comb your hair, part your hair down the middle, and separate it into two sides. Secure with a scrunchie or hair clip to keep hair out of the way. If you want, leave a strand or two dangling around your face.
- Starting with either the left or right side, comb your hair into a pigtail at the top of your head. Secure with an elastic and repeat on the other side. The goal is to get your pigtails in about the same place so that your buns will be even.
- Once you’re happy with the placement, twist your hair into a bun shape and secure.
Sleek Low Ponytail
No matter the season, you can never go wrong with a simple yet chic low ponytail. To tame summertime frizzies in this sleek look, try adjusting your formula to include Smooth for an added boost of humidity protection. This versatile style effortlessly goes from day to night and is an easy style to achieve for all levels of hair mastery—it doesn’t have to be perfect; it just has to be you.
Feel free to get creative with this look and make it all your own. Try wrapping a piece of hair around your hair tie to conceal the tie, dress it up with a bejeweled headband, or even switch up your part: go for a center part for our Gen-Z friends or a deep side part to please our Millennial pals.
No matter how you decide to jazz things up simply:
- Comb through your hair and create either a middle part, side part, or anything in between.
- Use your comb to smooth hair into place as you gather all of your hair at the nape of your neck. Secure with a hair tie and personalize your look.
- Finish with a touch of hairspray or hair oil to reduce frizz.
We know Millennials and Gen Z may never agree on every style choice, but no matter your generation, these four summer hairstyles will bring an extra dash of magic to your mirror moments—even Gen X or Baby Boomers might like to try some of these timeless looks.
Give these trending hairstyles a try for yourself and let us know what you think! Be sure to share your favorite summer styles with us on social @aurahaircare or tag us in your go-to looks!